Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

February 21 is ASH WEDNESDAY

This morning, as I was reading some materials my students gave me for their research, I received a text message asking me if I was available to celebrate Ash Wednesday with them. Before I could reply, I felt shocked. My God! That's the beginning of our PACERS 31st Annual Convention! I immediately did a text brigade to all the Board members for their comments. Here are some of their replies:

We only have snacks prepared for the first afternoon since registration begins at 11AM.

Maybe we can have a Mass padre? Pwede ba kayong maglagay ng ash? (Ako pa?! - my comment haha)

That's a good observation...This serves as a reminder to Christians of LENT.

What was striking for me was this comment: Tama ka. But how can we respect the free will of the person? Maybe not all are fasting.

Maybe we will decide on this so what must be done can be done. If you have any suggestion, we shall consider them well. But let it be known now that as we begin our Convention, Lent is upon us. The 40 days we spend is the time to look unto ourselves, what Alfred Binet said about intelligence: "...auto-critique." That's our journey in our life of conversion.

As a Catholic priest, and missionary at that, I am preparing myself for the possibility of having an afternoon Mass after the first Panel Discussion session. Maybe we can coordinate with the hotel for the place if that were fine with them. The thought that many among us may be rushing out after the afternoon session to the nearest parish for our ashes made me think of opting for that so we get the most of our chances here in this Convention.

It's also possible that some among us may also have had it before coming to the Convention. I may be one of them in fact because of my ministry. Those who do so would then not need to rush for their ashes. And there may be non-Christians among us. Also the non-Catholics.

In my telephone discussions with some members of the Board, the possibility of having a Mass seems apt. I have asked our Treasurer to coordinate with the hotel about it. It can be that they have a chapel there where the Mass can be held. Or maybe we can be extended the time to use our plenary venue for the Eucharist and the Ash giving, that is if no one else is scheduled to use that venue, inviting the hotel personnel to come and attend it for their "ash needs." If that were to materialize, I shall be bringing along my Mass kit. Whatever develops along this matter, I shall be posting more on this blog.

Yes, some of us may be asking about Ash Wednesday being a day of fasting. Fasting according to our practice is ONE FULL MEAL sans meat on that day. Of course there is possibility to adapt this to the situation of the Catholic, hence, we can have a full lunch (or maybe breakfast, or supper, whichever is chosen), and the rest of the meals as light as in water only or even juice only. While fasting is encouraged as a private event (remember Jesus saying that in Scriptures?) in the Catholic Church we are all invited to fast as a faith community. We start it by having the ashes painted in our forehead. The second obligatory fasting day other than Ash Wednesday is the day Our Lord died: Good Friday. So I think we can still fulfill this obligation even if we have our Convention. Those who may want to abstain from their snacks may opt to give it to someone outside who's had no meal yet. Yes, the Treasurer is to tell the hotel that our snacks are not to have meat.

Nonetheless, the schedule for that afternoon after the panel discussion on relationships at home says PACERS members are to meet. Let's see what we can do about it. I hope to post here our decision on this matter. Nevertheless, whatever your thoughts are, just email me or text me or call if you need to be really heard. I shall be considering your suggestions very much. Let's pray for one another on that day. God bless