Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

Some thoughts on the CPE Documents

First, my apologies for my statement emailed to our IPCAP members about there being no Guidelines from the Board of Guidance and Counseling. The more recent truth is, the PRC-set Guidelines (PRC BR 2008-466 Series of 2008 & Annex A) have now become THE Guidelines. Thanks to the PRC Standards Division for enlightening me. That mistaken thought or impression has led me to actually clarify why there is no official word from the CPE Council for Guidance & Counseling except a statement I read somewhere about which are the accredited CPE providers for the profession. I would really want to read MORE OFFICIAL STATEMENTS coming from the legitimate source like the CPE Council for Guidance and Counseling without which doubt can be an easy preoccupation. Aren't they supposed to meet ONCE A MONTH (Article II Section 11 which reads: "The Council shall hold regular meetings once a month on dates to be fixed by said Councils.") Since the PRC Board Resolution No. 2008-466 Series of 2008 & Annex A has taken effect - Oct. 22, 2008, I have yet to get more reliable information, at least the PRINTED one like the aforesaid PRC Resolution. Maybe the Board is still busy with the many documents submitted for Grandfather's Clause licensure. Nonetheless, it is essential for our profession that this matter be attended to. We at IPCAP have been discussing these matters in our meetings.

With that taken care of, let me share some thoughts on the documents I published in here. There are more PRC Resolutions connected with the ones I placed here (e.g., the payments for applications for CPE provider-ship, etc...), but for the purposes of those who read this blog on this matter (I bet I haven't read this document somewhere else other than the ones I got from PRC Standards Division), let these thoughts be for now. I shall add as the days come.


1. Is there a discrepancy between these two statements coming from the document (Annex A) itself? Here are the statements, to wit,

"No CPE provider shall be allowed to conduct CPE programs, activities and sources without approval and accreditation from the Council." (Article III Section 15 sentence 2)

"Programs and activities conducted by providers which were not pre-accredited may be given credit upon submission of documents relevant to the programs to the APO CPEC and upon approval of the Council." (Article III Section 16 par 4)

This is how I understand the first statement (Sec. 15 sentence 2): A CPE provider may not conduct CPE programs, activities and sources WITHOUT approval and accreditation.

As regards Sec. 16 par 4, this is how I understand it: If there were programs and activities that were not pre-accredited, just submit documents relevant to that program/activity to the APO for approval by the Council (CPE Council), and the units there may be given credit.

The first statement PROHIBITS holding of non-pre-accredited events (programs and activities and sources) even by a CPE PRovider, which the second statement denies because submission of relevant documents suffices. Isn't there a discrepancy? Akala ko di pwede, bakit pwede pala? All in one document. Ano ba talaga Kuya? Ate? Lolo? Lola?


2. What about professionals (read: those with PRC IDs) invited to give talks and workshops by organizations that are not accredited CPE providers: are those experiences of being a RESOURCE PERSON not given credit?

I'd like to think that the document itself provides for credit units being given to those programs and activities having sources other than the CPE provider organizations. Just look at the credit units given to masteral and doctoral degrees (academic preparation), journal articles published and presented, and obviously MOST of the other programs may obviously not come from accredited CPE providers alone. I don't know if I have missed a portion of the document, but the impression left in me after the many readings I did on the document is that if one is over one's masters, or doctorate, one may be left with participation as the only mode by which one can get credit units from the accredited CPE providers. Well, if my understanding were right, when one becomes resource person/panelist reactor or facilitator/moderator, one must be the resource person/panelist reactor or facilitator/moderator ONLY in the CPE provider-sponsored event. I hope I am mistaken. It is thus best for the Board or the Council to really think about it.

Let these be for now. I am open for discussion and exchange. I may be mistaken. Let me know where. Thanks and Good Day. God bless

No comments: