Search This Blog

Thursday, August 21, 2008

For the Board Examinees

It might be a little late, but for the sake of those who might read this before they take the exams tomorrow, August 21, may I blog this which I wrote yesterday

Aug. 20, 2008

It’s Aug. 20, and it’s the eve of the first Board Exams in Guidance and Counseling in the Philippines. My thoughts and prayers are with the 1st batch of board examinees. I pray that from this batch will come those who will be “known” in the future, known for their counseling services and integrity and not for any corruption connected with their acts. I pray that they may not give up, but rather finish the exams right down to the last item on the last day, so that the chances for God to make miracles will be higher. I told my niece Princess this tip when she was crying on the phone, answering me as she packed her clothes and wanted out after the first day of difficult exams. “Look, you want to pass the test and get your license as a pharmacist?” “Of course, uncle, I labored hard in my studies.” she said. “Well, listen, if I were God, I will need to see your papers. If I don’t get to see your papers of the second day, tomorrow, how can I make a miracle for you? It’s not my cup of tea to bribe people or put the answers for you. The penmanship difference might be too obvious. Mabubuking tayo. Chances will be higher for you to pass if you take tomorrow’s exams; whereas, if you go home in a few moments and not take the exams tomorrow, you will NEVER pass!” This may have made my niece change her mind, she took the courage to take the exams the next day, and when the results were released a few days later, she even called me up to say her name appeared in the list of board passers. “Of course,” I told her. “God’s grace builds on nature. Congratulations!”

This may be a little anti-climactic, and I wouldn’t want to affirm the cramming strategies we did as students. But I got these tips which I shall identify as this blog entry proceeds:

1. Coverage:
In one of the meetings with the PRB, Dr. Luz Guzman (1st appointed to the Board of Guidance and Counseling) [thanks to Cesar Cong who provided this in our last IPCAP meeting Aug. 09, 2008 at RGS, Cubao] have supposedly given the following:
1st Day:
a) Counseling Theory & Techniques: 200 items, 3 hours
b) Group Process: 150 items, 2 hours

2nd day:
a) Career Guidance: 75 items, 1 hour
b) Psychological Testing, 2 hours
c) Administration & Supervision: 75 items, 1 hour

2. Some Words to go by:
a) Do not panic.
b) Sleep well tonight, wake up early tomorrow, have a nice refreshing bath; take a good breakfast, hear Mass if you have time before the exams; if not go and attend Mass in the afternoon after the exams. In short, pray and offer to the Lord all you will do so He will guide you, protect you and keep you from fear. His word for everyone everyday: “Do not be afraid.”
c) Bring no codigos. Cheating will only increase your guilt and anxiety.
d) Go early to the exam site (MLQU in Quiapo). You release a lot of anxiety by being there early and having found your site.
e) Always take a deep breath before every exam.
f) Answer easy items first and go back to difficult ones later. Don’t waste time on any 1 item. For essay items, give a rough outline of your answers which you intend to write on. You can always improve your answers when time is still available. Make sure you have answered most of the items. Remember the Culture Fair Tests of Intelligence Instructions? “You may guess; if you guess rightly, you get a point. If you guess wrongly, you lose no point.” And let me add: don’t just guess. Think and think well and rightly.
g) Always have presence of mind. Remember what we learned in our Counseling practice: every counselee is a new situation. So we always listen well to the client and the matters presented. I bet the same strategy may work for the exam items.
h) So, trust in all that you have done. And leave the rest to the Lord.

3. Do email me if this tip worked, particularly the exams per day. I pray that the exams will be given as tipped, i.e., the subjects to be tested and the items per exam per day. And of course, don’t forget to thank Him for His blessings.

And when you shall have passed, resolve that you will do your job to the best that you can for those He sends you in every field you practice Guidance and Counseling. Resolve to develop yourself too, because every counselor’s best investment is oneself. The more we know ourselves, the better our counseling approach shall be. The more we grow in confidence and competence, the more assured our counseling outcome: the development and empowerment of our counselees, which will definitely mean a more mentally happy person, relationships, family, neighborhood, service, and hopefully the larger society.