Search This Blog

Friday, August 01, 2008

TEXT ME WITH YOUR NAME

Yes, that's what I would like to request anyone who would like to communicate to me your requests. And yes, to those who did, thanks.

In the light of today's text scams, I have always kept this personal policy of not replying to text messages that do not contain their name at least. The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC), in a radio interview of one of its personnel (was it the Director who was interviewed over DZBB?) has already warned everyone to report to the Commission the number of anyone who texts you about winning a draw, or asking for load when in fact you don't even know the person. I have received such messages, and surely it gave me a hearty laugh to read a message like this from two different numbers which I am placing here verbatim: "hon, dito ka na lang reply or call asap mahalaga sasabihen ko sayo send ka load 150pesos last txt na e2" (from +639167129840; +639278559967. This second number was sent earlier and without the word hon for "Honey"). I immediately realized it to be a hoax because evidently the guy doesn't know me. Another one made me really wonder how it could have been possible: "Congrats!Ur cel# had won worth of php950,000 2nd prize n(PGMA) Charity Fundraising draw.April-28-2008DTI/NCR permit#4728. Pls call me now I'm Ms Lilibeth Sanchez" (+639279417701). When I was given this celphone, and yes the sim card was from someone who ha already left the country, I was never informed that it was entered into a lottery of sorts. The first time I received such similar text, I was then driving, and felt like playing along. I texted back "Please text me your landline and i'l call you as soon as I arrive my destination. God bless" Either the number was closed or the person fooling around felt afraid or had no landline and did not text back. Obviously they wouldn't know what to do outside of their game plan (maybe it should be called a fame plan because it may be done with an unconscious need for fame; or it is a game to fool you).

It gives me chills to think that I am texting back to someone in the dark. The internet and the texting world really connects us to many faceless people. But I believe that we will always remain the same with or without computers or celphones. In fact, in normal human interactions, which we were taught by our parents, or friends or even in schools where it is called "Good Moral and Right Conduct (GMRC), every first encounter always provides a decent self-introduction without which the other would feel transgressed or disrespected, or even get the impression that the person has no breeding or whatever. Hence, I label these numbers with "Papansin 1, 2..." so that when it comes back or used again, I have a record of the number and a stronger case to teach the other a good lesson in appropriate human communication.

God bless